Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Day 3: Spanish on the ears, French on the palate

Slept well into Day 3 to work much of the jet lag off, and we waited at the apartment for the third member of our group to arrive from New York and De Gaulle airport.
He arrived safe and sound and off we went to Chez Margot, nearby on Boulevard Henri IV, for lunch.
It was overcast but pleasant enough to sit outside.
We ordered the 14.50 “formule” or menu – an entrĂ©e and a main. We drank 2 bottles of Perrier Blue, which I was not especially happy with (not fizzy enough).
My companions started with a creamy, well-textured pumpkin soup while I had a terrific poached egg on top of mushrooms doused in an herb-inflected olive oil. The mushrooms were fresh and had good flavor.
Mains were a farfalle de funghi, which my companion said could have used more mushrooms but came in a terrific sauce and was satisfying; a fricassee de poulet (chicken) in a tarragon butter, simple but superb, with good frites; and I had a wonderful piece de boucher, (rumpsteak), cooked saignant (bloody) as ordered, with the same frites and a really really good blue-cheese sauce. The bread had a fine crust and flavor, and the house mustard for frites/steak was very strong, just the way I like it.
Wine was a Cinsault rose, tart and refreshing, for my friends and a full-bodied Cotes du Rhone for me. Good coffee came with a little Ce’Moi bar of dark chocolate and I had an Armagnac to finish. Bill for 3, 93 euros.
Afterwards came shopping, with visits to a wonderful butcher, Eric Kayser’s bakery and Laurent Dubois’ cheese shop on the Left Bank where I scored some goat cheese and Gaperon, one of my favorite cheeses. We then returned to the flat where my newly arrived companion stayed up for a while before he went to jet-lagged sleep.
My other friend and I walked a few minutes to the great Cathedrale Notre Dame for a concert of 16th century Spanish vocal music, with a group of 5 singers that sang solo, as a trio, as a quartet and all together in a program of a dozen or so selections by composers such as Victoria and Morales. Not the kind of thing I’d have gone to at home, and music I was not very familiar with, but a truly fascinating hour with some amazingly pure voices. I am very glad I went.
For dinner, we then walked to the Marais to an old favorite of mine, Le Temps de Cerises (not the one in the 13th). It was hopping at 10:15 and we were far from the last to sit down.
We drank Vittel water, still, as their sparkler was that Perrier Blue, eh.
We shared a plate of escargot de Bourgogne as a first. These are snails roasted in garlic-parsley butter that required being mopped up by the wonderful bread that came in copious quantity. Served sizzling hot.
For mains my friend enjoyed a chicken breast topped with marvelous langoustines, presented perfectly with mushrooms and olives with a bit of herb (chervil?) on top. The dish’s aroma was seductive.  
I devoured “grenadin du veau” – veal filet – cooked absolutely perfectly, fork-tender, good sear on outside, pink inside, served over stewed eggplant and topped with a marvelous crust of herbs – spectacular.
With both mains came a bowl of pureed potatoes that a whole cow had donated cream and butter to. First-rate.
Wine was a 50cl pot of Franck Givaudin’s Irancy, a Burgundian red made from the local Cesar grape – rich, deep, spicy, and “gouleyant”. Woof.
Absolutely superb coffee came with a Michel & Augustin chocolate biscuit.
The bistro offered memorable ambience; several large tables having a lot of fun, a festive bar crowd, and one strikingly well-dressed older gentleman who drank a bottle pf Bordeaux while enjoying onion soup and a gamba salad.
Bill for two, 92.70 euros.
As places in Paris go, I can’t recommend Le Temps de Cerises enough

Chez Margot
25 bis Boulevard Henri IV, 4th

Le Temps des Cerises
31 Rue de la Cersaie, 4th
https://www.facebook.com/le-temps-des-cerises-199407043426474/





No comments:

Post a Comment