Monday, April 10, 2017

Day 7, part I: Organic gardens and gardens of organs

Saturday came as another stunning day.
Needing to get some work done, I headed over to les Jardin des Plantes to find a bench and do some writing. No WiFi, better concentration, and I wanted to go there anyway.
En route I stopped for a quickie lunch – saucisson sec sandwich (with pickles), pastis and café at the café L’Institu Nouvel on the Left Bank. Basic but pleasant.
                                                                All but the saucisson.
The Jardin is a 15-minute walk from the flat. The name means that it is a not a flower garden but more of a botanical garden, and one with a zoo and natural history museum at that.
It’s a lovely place and on this gorgeous Saturday an intensely bustling one; finding a peaceful shaded (it was quite warm) bench took some time. I did find one, and finished a major product, started a piece of fiction, and did some reading. I wanted to visit the zoo but the line was too long. I did see a red panda on a tree in its enclosure. 
Then, with some spare time, I strolled around the Jardin and took pictures, some of which you see here. This is a place that will reward further attention.




Back to the flat for a Badoit and a brief pause before heading to the first of two free organ recitals on the day. I grabbed the 68 bus almost at my doorstep and rode to the Sevres-Babylone Metro on the Left Bank, passing, among other sights, the diner Breakfast in America (no thanks), the Ecole Polytechnique (grand old building), the Sorbonne (even the chimneys are marked (RF, Republic de France), the classic Odeon Theatre, and cafés jammed to the roof with people.
I then hopped the 12 metro to Solferino, named after a rare Louis Napoleon III military success, and noted the wonderful old signs over the tunnels heading north (Montmartre) and south (Montparnasse).


After a short walk and an all-too-brief visit to the lovely Square Samuel Rousseau in front of the church, I went into the 19th-century Neo-Gothic Basilique St. Clotilde.

This was the setting for an hour of organ music played by Matthieu Odinet on the church’s legendary Cavaillé-Coll instrument. 


This was the church where Cesar Franck and Gabriel Pierne were the organists, Franck for 31 years; Charles Tournemire and Jean Langlais also ruled for decades.
The program was half French – Franck, Johan Alain, and Marcel Dupre – and half Germanic, Bach, Brahms and Liszt. My companions showed up for the second half. This was the first Brahms organ music I had ever heard, a pleasant prelude. I especially liked Alain’s fantasy and the Bach as well.
We strolled around the neighborhood, including seeing the Assemblee National building bedecked in tricolors, then back to the flat for a rest before heading to Notre Dame for a recital by British organist Paul Carr.
The concert was delayed because the late-day Palm Sunday mass had not ended – you’d think the damn place was a working church or something – but was well worth the wait. The Allegro from Louis Vierne’s Organ Symphony No. 2 got things underway in rousing fashion in what it is to me the greatest church organ I have ever heard. A gentle prelude by William Harris followed, then a marvelously Protestant song and fugue by Samuel Wesley, the kind of thing I grew up hearing in Presbyterian churches. To hear it at Notre Dame, an arch-citadel of Catholicism, made me smile.
I love the English composer Ralph Vaughan Williams but, like Brahms, had not heard any of his organ music before. The “Hymn Prelude to Rhosymedre” was typical VW, meandering a bit, but pleasant; but my companion who was along hated it. A lively Allegro from Edward Bairstow followed, and then came David Briggs (born in my birth year, 1962)’s Theme and Variations on Laudi Spirituali, which was well-crafted and quite enjoyable, ending in a full-blast intensity of sound that my companion called “music to scare gargoyles by”. An unmemorable piece by Eugene Reuschel ended a terrific recital; Carr was given a enthusiastic ovation.
To me, the sound of the Notre Dame organ is one of the best reasons to come to Paris.
We then headed off for dinner … which deserves its own post.




No comments:

Post a Comment